2015 07 15: jeremiah and i spent a part of the day placing additional insulation into the shed. the insulation is now complete. hooray!
the day also provided time to do some overdue maintenance. jeremiah and i sanded and oiled the butcher block countertop.
i repaired a slightly leaking niagara stealth toilet. there was a very thin rubbery substance that had gotten into the valve sealing the water in the niagara’s flush assembly from the bowl. no longer there.
2015 06 27: today jeremiah and i almost completed insulating the shed with roxul mineral wool. the shed is being insulated because water treatment tanks will be placed in it; and i do not want them to freeze this coming winter.
2015 06 23: today jeremiah and i sealed the majority of electrical outlet boxes so that they would not leak air. this is the start of the remediation to reduce air leakage in the house. at present the house leaks more air than allowed by the passive house standard.
we take the covers off of the boxes and caulk where the wire enters the box and any other hole in the box. then we caulk between the box and the wall board.
i was surprised by how fast this went.
2015 06 13: jeremiah spent the day sealing the shed’s air leaks. i spent the day working on moving an electrical box in the shed. this is to make the box look nice when the wall board goes over the insulation.
2015 06 08: discovered a water leak near the hallway bathroom. prepared the exterior doors for painting on the inside. at the suggestion of the architect, jeremiah and i will paint them the same color as the walls.
2015 05 31: i worked today on sealing off half of the house. this is to determine which half is contributing the most to the leaks. this time i was successful in sealing one half of the house from the other. i used the same plastic described in the last post to seal the hallway entrance. this time the plastic was forced against the wall using tension shower rods and curtain rods. it worked!
the east half of the house yields 250 cfm. the house as a whole leaks at 350 cfm. i did not expect this result. if it is correct, it means that all of the small leaks in the east half of the house are contributing significantly to the house’s leaks. i plan to seal them up and try again.
the picture shows the set up used to seal the hallway.
the temporary set up used to air seal the hallway
the house is leaking more air than is allowed by the passive house standard. i have been working to determine where the air leaks are.
my friend, ross shearer, and i worked today to seal off half the house. this is determine in which half the air leaks are worse.
the following picture shows what the temporary seals look like.
unfortunately, the tape that kept the large piece of plastic in place under the mini-split kept failing. i will try again soon.
the base-line on the house is 350 cubic feet of air leaks at a negative 50 Pascal. this comes to 1.2 air changes per hour.
temporary seals between house halves
johns mansville spider formaldehyde free blow-in loose-fill fiber glass insulation is in the 2 x 6 walls. it’s beautiful!
first netting is stapled to the studs. then holes are poked into the netting. the insulation is blown into the wall cavities between the studs through a hose, which is similar in appearance to the hoses on vacuum cleaners.
blown in fiberglass insulation in the east wall
blown in fiberglass insulation in the south wall and in the west wall of the living area
2014 01 20: the following photo shows the R5 insulation on the hot and cold water pipes. the cold pipe is insulated to prevent condensation from forming in the walls.
the master bath shower showing insulated water pipes
2013 11 14: wow!
this morning the outside temperature was 25 °F.
the temperature of the interior of the unheated house was 64 °F. judging from my fogged glasses, the humidity in the house is high. (by the by, the insulation that goes in the space provided by the 2 x 6 wall is not yet in place nor is the zehnder energy recovery ventilator.)
on the hottest day we’ve had since the windows were installed, the interior of the house reached 75 °F, so there may be a slight tendency for the house to overheat. i’d guess that the zehnder energy recovery ventilator will gracefully take care of this.
so, I don’t need the mini-split heat pumps after all. instead, i’m putting in a hair dryer.